July 23, 2020 / Jeffrey Kelly
5 Most Important Questions to Ask before Deciding to Hire a Bankruptcy Attorney
There are some important questions every consumer should ask before hiring a bankruptcy attorney. Hiring the right attorney will ensure that you get the best fresh start possible after completing your case.
Since I have been a Consumer Bankruptcy Attorney in Georgia for over 22 years, I think I can offer you some advice on this topic:
- First of all, you must ask – “How many years has he or she practiced consumer bankruptcy law?” Of course, the longer the time – the more training and experience he or she will have. Ten years or more gives you a good probability that he or she will have specific legal knowledge to use in getting you the best outcome for your case. This specific knowledge not only relates to knowing the laws but also knowing the other lawyers, judges, and how they operate,… and being able to figure out the best strategy for your case.
- Secondly, you must ask- “Does the attorney limit his or her practice to consumer bankruptcy law?” Do you want your attorney’s case load to include legitimizing a child, criminal law, handling divorces, child custody, real estate, firearm, reading wills and estates, probating estates and throw in for good measure-consumer bankrputcy? I think not. Obviously, you would rather be represented by an attorney who limits his or her practice to consumer bankruptcy.
- Third, you must ask – “How many bankruptcy cases have they handled?” Obviously, you would rather have someone who has successfully filed a lot of cases, ideally 500 or more. You don’t want to get someone just out of law school!
- Something else you want to know is “After reviewing your case, Can they give you specific issues on the fine details in your bankruptcy case?” For Example: Is there a risk of you losing your house in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy case? How is your Chapter 13 payment calculated?
- Last, but not least, you must ask, “Will they give you a clear explanation of the costs? After an attorney does a thorough job of determining what kind of work is needed for your case, if they are experienced, they should be able to clearly explain all of the costs. After all, you want to know what it will cost you to complete the entire case not just get it started.
Ok, so you’re probably wondering what my answers would be to the above questions. I’ll lay it out for you.
- As I mentioned earlier, I have over 22 years of experience in consumer bankruptcy in Georgia, — or in other words, I’ve been around the block a few times. Before I opened my practice in 2005, I worked a few years for some large bankruptcy filers. I have handled just about everything you can think of in a consumer bankruptcy case.
- My practice is 100% consumer bankruptcy. I don’t spend my time fighting over who gets the table & chairs in a divorce. Instead, I spend my time aggressively defending clients in their bankruptcy cases.
- Over the years, I have handled several thousand bankruptcy cases.
- After reviewing your case, I will tell you up front the specific issues I believe that are relevant to your bankruptcy case. We will discuss all of your debts and all of your assets.
- After you share with me everything I need to know to analyze your case, you will receive a clear explanation of the costs of your bankruptcy case. After all, isn’t that what you’re after – to improve your chances of getting the best outcome, being kept up to date, knowing what it will cost, and getting this handled so you can get on with the rest of your life!
All you have to do is call me at 770-881-8449 to schedule a free appointment. If I am not available, I have 3 super experienced attorneys that work for me who will do a great job.