Adjustment of Status | Adjustment of Status Attorney | Georgia
[hsas-shortcode group="" speed="40" direction="left" gap="150"]

Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of Status Attorney in Georgia

A visa that permits you to live and work in the United States opens up the possibility of a new life and a brighter future. However, the restrictions and impermanence of an immigrant visa might cast doubt and fear over your American Dream. Even the tiniest blunder might jeopardize all you've worked for, especially now.

If you wish to remain longer and make a life here, you must either renew your present status in a timely and accurate manner or seek to modify your status so that you may become a permanent resident and acquire your green card.

When clients turn to our immigration law firm for help maintaining or adjusting their immigration status, our experienced adjustment of status attorney understands how much is at risk. 

Our Georgia adjustment of status attorney, along with a dedicated team of legal professionals, will work closely with all clients to understand their specific circumstances, address their concerns, and take the necessary steps to allow them to move forward in the United States with confidence and clarity.

What Are the Eligibility Requirements for Adjustment of Status?

The first step in avoiding deportation and protecting your status in the United States is to understand the qualifying requirements for adjustment of status. Individuals who wish to apply for an AOS must also fulfill the green card eligibility standards. This can be achieved by having a U.S. employer or a family member who is a permanent resident or a citizen of the United States.

This also necessitates having an accepted visa petition on file as well as a current priority date. You may be eligible for an adjustment of status if you have had refugee status for at least one year.

Also, in order to receive an AOS, anyone who entered the nation on a K-1 fiancé visa must be married to their spouse. Before becoming eligible for an adjustment of status, refugees and immigrants who have been granted asylum must wait one year.

How to Avoid Common Issues Related to Adjustment of Status?

A skilled adjustment of status attorney can assist you in obtaining an adjustment of status and avoiding deportation. They can give you the resources you need to prevent typical problems.

Unauthorized employment can also prevent a person from obtaining an AOS. When the Petitioner is a close relative, there are several exceptions (spouse or parent). Technical violations of status may qualify an immigrant for status modifications if it can be proven that the violation was not caused by the individual's fault.

A prompt response to an adjustment of status application is the obligation of the USCIS. Failure to do so may be taken into account when seeking permission. When applying for a change of status, there are several variables to consider.

Eligibility criteria may be complicated, but having the correct legal tools can help you get an AOS swiftly. An adjustment of status shields you from deportation proceedings and allows you and your family to build a safe future in the United States.

What is the Application Process for Adjustment of Status?

Below is the application process for adjustment of status in Georgia.

File Application to Adjust Status

You can file a Form I-485 if you are in the United States and are qualified for adjustment of status. For directions on how to complete and correctly file your application with USCIS, refer to the Form I-485 instructions and the online page for your immigrant category. To find out where you should file your application, go to the Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-485 website.

Attend Adjustment of Status Appointment

Officials from the USCIS will examine your case to see if an interview is required. If we arrange an interview with you, you will be expected to be present at a USCIS office to answer questions about your Form I485 under oath or affirmation. They'll give you a notification with the interview's date, time, and place.

You (and, if appropriate, the family member who filed the immigrant petition for you) must bring originals of all paperwork submitted with the Form I-485 application to your interview. Passports, official travel documents, and Form I-94 are all included, regardless of whether they are expired.

Receive a Decision

USCIS will give you a formal notification after they have made a decision on your application. If your application is approved, you will typically receive an approval notification first, followed by your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) a few weeks later.

If your application is denied, the decision notice will state the reason(s) for the denial and if you have the right to appeal the decision. In most cases, you will not be able to appeal a denial of an adjustment of status application.

What Are the Benefits of Applying for an Adjustment of Status?

The main benefit of filing for adjustment of status is that the foreigner has completed the final stage of obtaining a green card. The immigrant is granted permanent residence status in the United States if the application is approved.

During the waiting period for status change, there are three additional key benefits:

  • The alien may also apply for Advance Parole at the same time. Advance Parole permits an immigrant to go abroad while their adjustment of status application is underway without forfeiting the benefits connected with the adjustment of status application. You do not need to apply for a nonimmigrant visa to return to the United States if you have advance parole. In some instances (such as for holders of H or L visas), advance parole is not required. The foreigner is free to go outside the United States without their AOS application being considered abandoned by the USCIS.
  • The alien may also apply for a Work Permit. When an alien's adjustment of status application is pending, the Work Permit authorizes them to work for any employer in the United States.
  • While the adjustment of status application is pending, the alien may remain in the United States legally without a legitimate nonimmigrant status. Although, an adjustment of status allows an alien to remain in the United States legally.

We're Here to Help

Individuals seeking permanent residency should always get legal advice from an adjustment of status attorney. Even in the simplest circumstances, the assistance of an adjustment of status attorney makes obtaining a green card as easy as possible. Call The Law Office of Jeffrey B. Kelly, a reliable immigration law firm,  to schedule a consultation with our skilled adjustment of status attorney from Georgia.

Reach Your Immigration Goals Today!

We are experienced immigration lawyers ready to help you achieve your goals.

We Can Help You Solve Your

Are you losing sleep because of your legal status? Worry no more! Our experienced immigration attorneys at The Law Office of Jeffrey B. Kelly can help you break free from your immigration problems. We will help you find the best possible way to live and work in the U.S. legally. Schedule an appointment with an experienced immigration lawyer in Georgia today!