Getting a U.S. Visa | U.S. Visa Lawyers | Georgia
[hsas-shortcode group="" speed="40" direction="left" gap="150"]

Getting a U.S. Visa

U.S. Visa Lawyers in Georgia

The submission of an N-400 application is the first step in becoming a naturalized citizen of the United States. You must also provide some needed papers in addition to the N-400 form, which will vary based on your specific circumstances. After you've submitted all of your documents, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will send you an appointment letter to have your biometrics taken.

Following your biometrics appointment, you will be scheduled for an interview with USCIS. You will be asked questions regarding your application and history and take the English and civics tests. You are permitted to have U.S. visa lawyers present during your interview.

Allow our immigration lawyers to take care of it. In the long run, having U.S. visa lawyers from The Law Office of Jeffrey B. Kelly on your side will save you time and money.

What is a Visa?

A visa is a document issued by the United States Department of State (DOS) and distributed by one of its consulates or embassies worldwide. The visa allows persons to seek entrance into the United States by presenting themselves at a U.S. border or port of entry.

The ultimate decision to let someone into the country is made by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer at the border or airport. Arriving with a visa, however, is a good sign that admission will be approved.

A visa is generally in the form of a stamp on one's passport. If and when you receive instructions to pick up your visa at a U.S. consulate, you'll be obtaining this stamp or a similar document that enables you to enter the U.S.

What Are the Categories of Visas in the United States

In the United States, there are two categories of visas: Non-immigrant visa and immigrant visa.

Immigrant Visas

Foreigners who intend to settle in the United States may be eligible for an immigrant visa. These individuals must first apply to the USCIS. Applicants with exceptional talents or investors seldom require assistance, but most other applicants will need a sponsor, such as an employer or a relative.

The immigrant visa category encompasses a variety of visa applications.

  • Relatives, spouses, and fiancées of lawful permanent residents and U.S. citizens can apply for a Family-Based Visa.
  • People who want to adopt orphans from abroad can apply for an Intercountry Adoption Visa.
  • Investors with a minimum capital of $1 million (or half that if investing in a deprived area) can apply for an Investor Visa.
  • Employers file labor certifications and petitions for prospective employees using the Employment-Based Immigrant Visa.

The application is forwarded to the local consulate or foreign embassy, where the immigrant visa is issued once accepted. After that, the immigrant must bring the visa to the United States and show it to a CBP officer at the port of entry.

Non-Immigrant Visas

Non-immigrant visas are required for foreigners who want to visit the United States for a short period for leisure travel, medical reasons, temporary job, business, or education. An application, together with supporting proof, will be required and may vary based on the purpose of the trip and the kind of visa being obtained. Students, tourists, and business travelers can apply at a consulate or embassy in their home country.

A Visitor Visa (B-1) is required for business travelers who wish to attend conventions, meetings, or contract discussions in the United States. Students who have been accepted into a school program or sponsorship in the US can apply for one of the following:

  • Student Visa (Category F) if the course is academic.
  • Student Visa (Category M) for a vocational study.
  • Exchange Visitor Visa (J) to take part in approved exchange programs.

Tourists, medical tourists, and students who do not fit into any preceding categories (e.g., non-credit courses) can apply for a Visitor Visa (B-2), often known as a Tourist Visa.

A Transit (C) Visa is required for travelers passing through the United States on their way to another country. Travelers need a Visitor (B) Visa for sightseeing, visiting friends, or other leisure activities, even if their stay is only a few days.

Diversity Visa

For example, citizens from various countries with historically low representation in the United States are welcome to participate in the Diversity Program. Registration for any of the two schedules, the DV-2021 or the DV-2022, is free.

Visa for Official Government Travel

An A-1 visa would be available to heads of state or government (for example, presidents and prime ministers). A-1 and A-2 visas usually are available to ambassadors, consuls, ministers, cabinet members, E.U. and A.U. delegation officials, and their immediate family members. An A-2 visa may be available to government personnel, some military officials, E.U. or A.U. staff, and their close family or dependents.

Visas for Staff of International Organizations

Individuals who work for international organizations, including government employees and their immediate families, are eligible for visa categories G-1 through G-4. Personal employees of G-1 through G-4 visa holders may be eligible for the G-5 visa. A NATO-1 through NATO-6 visa is available to national representatives, NATO officials, and immediate family members. NATO-7 visas may also be issued to their employees.

Visa for Temporary Religious Workers

Travelers who apply for a Temporary Religious Worker (R-1) visa must have worked for at least two years as a minister or religious vocational worker for the same religious organization they wish to serve in the United States. They must also work part-time for this organization while in the US.

Crewmember Visa

A Crewmember Visa (D) is available to commercial pilots and flight attendants, captains, engineers, some sea vessel crew, lifeguards, kitchen and waiting staff, and other cruise liner workers and training vessel trainees. To be eligible for this visa, applicants must plan to leave the United States within 29 days after arrival.

Follow-Up to Join Refugees and Asylees

Travelers who have been given asylum or refugee status in the United States can use Form I-730 to petition for their spouses and unmarried children to join them.

How is a Green Card Different From a Visa?

In the immigration process, the phrases "green card" and "visa" are commonly used, although the distinctions between them are not always obvious. When a foreign individual becomes a lawful permanent resident in the United States, they receive a green card, which is a picture identity card. As a result, a legal permanent resident is commonly referred to as a "green card holder."

You can apply for a green card whether you are already a resident of the United States (a process known as adjustment of status) or if you have recently arrived in the US on an immigrant visa. A green card is a higher status than a visa, which is a document that permits a foreign citizen to enter the US through a border or port of entry.

When a foreign individual visits a U.S. consulate in their home country before going to the United States, a visa is stamped on their passport. A visa does not automatically grant you admission into the US; a Customs and Border Protection officer must make that judgment. On the other hand, people with visas usually are allowed to enter the United States.

A visa can be a non-immigrant visa, indicating that the foreign person will only be staying for a specific time. It may also be an immigrant visa, which implies the foreign person will be able to get a green card shortly after arriving in the United States.

While foreign citizens must typically get their first visa from their U.S. consulate, they may be able to change their status to a different form of visa or a green card once they have arrived in the United States. If they leave the United States after changing their status to another visa type, they must get a new visa document from their American consulate before returning.

Status of Illegality and Bar to Re-entry

Once you enter the United States illegally, you are automatically regarded to be in an unlawful situation. As such, if you've overstayed your visa, contact our Georgia-based U.S. visa lawyers right away. Our legal experts may be able to help you mitigate your situation.

You may risk a three-year ban from reentering the U.S. if you've been in the country illegally for less than six months. A 10-year ban is imposed on those who have been in the country unlawfully for more than six months. In some cases, temporary exemptions of unlawful status may be obtained.

If you contact U.S. visa lawyers, you'll have a higher chance of securing an immigration waiver.

Adjustment of Status

For people visiting the United States temporarily, changing their status from non-immigrant to immigrant is common. If certain requirements are satisfied, specific non-immigrant visas can be adjusted to immigrant visas. If you wish to alter your status in theUS, you must return to your country of origin for certain visas. You should consult with skilled U.S. visa lawyers before attempting to change your immigration status.

Citizenship and Naturalization

It is not difficult to obtain citizenship in the United States. On the other hand, illegal aliens and those in the country illegally may face issues. Our U.S. visa lawyers at The Law Office of Jeffrey B. Kelly will evaluate if you are eligible for citizenship and, if you are, will assist you in completing your citizenship application.

How Can U.S. Visa Lawyers From Georgia Help?

The Law Office of Jeffrey B. Kelly  is a firm that helps people acquire green cards. Residents of the United States, minor children, adult children, parents, and siblings are eligible for sponsorship, but LPRs are not. Multinational executives, scholars, skilled workers, special category employees, investors, and entrepreneurs are among the categories suitable for employment-based green cards.

Because specific categories only issue a limited number of green cards each year, it's vital to complete your application correctly and provide accurate information if you want to get one. Our U.S. visa lawyers understand what it takes to guarantee that your narrative and data are appropriately examined.

Get in Touch With Our U.S. Visa Lawyers From Georgia

The Law Office of Jeffrey B. Kelly provides immigration services to people who wish to visit the United States. Furthermore, our U.S. visa lawyers can also help you get permanent residency in the United States.

Call us immediately to talk with U.S. visa lawyers in Georgia about your circumstances. We never charge for an initial immigration consultation unless we believe we can help you.

Reach Your Immigration Goals Today!

We are experienced immigration lawyers ready to help you achieve your goals.

We Can Help You Solve Your

Are you losing sleep because of your legal status? Worry no more! Our experienced immigration attorneys at The Law Office of Jeffrey B. Kelly can help you break free from your immigration problems. We will help you find the best possible way to live and work in the U.S. legally. Schedule an appointment with an experienced immigration lawyer in Georgia today!